Pages

Home » , » The Best Workout Headphones Of 2013

The Best Workout Headphones Of 2013

The Best Workout Headphones Of 2013

As beneficial as the right playlist can be to boosting your workout, the wrong pair of headphones can be equally detrimental. Maybe the sound is too tinny or the earbuds won't stay put. Maybe after a few sweat sessions they start to fall apart or, worse, smell bad. Every runner is different, but every runner who runs with music appreciates the beauty of the right pair of headphones.

While I'm no tech writer, I am a runner who listens to music -- and I most certainly sweat. Which is why I jumped at the chance to take some of the biggest names in the active headphone game out for a spin.

Before we get into my favorites, a few notes about how I conducted this oh-so-scientific test:

The Test Drive

I wore each pair of headphones during a 20- to 30-minute jog along the same stretch of the path along the Hudson River in New York City, at a moderate pace, while listening to the same 10 or so songs.

Two Types Of Quality

I rated sound quality on a scale of one to five, one being "meh", three being average and five being sensational. Durability also got a one to five score, with one being "handle with care" and five being "feel free to toss 'em in your gym bag."

Sound Isolation Isn't Always A Good Thing

When you're listening to music on, say, a long airplane flight, you're probably looking for something that blocks out all other sound. When you're listening to music on a run through a busy city, you need to be able to hear some of the important auditory cues around you. Experts call this "situational awareness." I prefer to drown out my own heavy breathing, but I have to be able to hear the bicyclists and drivers around me. I rated each set of headphones on a one to five scale here as well, but a three was the ideal. A one meant I could hear every surrounding sound, while a five meant I heard no surrounding sound, technically no good for a city runner.

Every Ear Is Different

Just like with running sneakers and sports bras, your experience with the headphones below will likely be somewhat different than mine. This review should be used merely as a guide, not the end-all-be-all.

These Are Not Your Average Headphones

You'll note that just about one of these headphones is affordable. But you get what you pay for, and, because many of the pricier models come with serious warrantees, they could be a worthwhile investment if you're willing to take good care of them.

Phone Calls

You can make or receive calls with most of these models. I didn't test out this feature -- mainly because most of my test runs occurred around 7 a.m., and I don't know many people who would really want to hear from me at that hour. For a review of making phone calls with a number of these models, as well as some really impressive testing methods that would have gotten me in big trouble, head over to The Wire Cutter's review from earlier this year.

Here's What I Found:

BOSE SIE2i


Sound Quality: 5. I put these babies in and did an auditory double-take. So this is what I've been missing!

Noise Isolation: 3. I couldn't hear my panting, but I did hear a particularly loud air conditioner that I mistook for an approaching person!

Fit & Comfort: The StayHear tips fit snuggly under the ridge of your ear, just above the ear canal. A set includes three interchangeable StayHear pieces to accommodate a range of ear sizes. I expected to feel some pressure from the piece that slid under the ridge of my ear, but instead I felt... nothing! These are so light, at times I thought they were slipping out simply because I no longer felt them at all.

Cord Length: Shorter than usual, but the kit includes a cord extender if you prefer a little more length. There's also a clip about halfway down the cord that allows you to fasten extra length to your clothes and prevent bouncing. The SIE2i model is designed to operate with Apple devices, so I could adjust the volume and song order with the buttons on the headphones, as well as operate my phone via voice commands. There's also an SIE2 model that works with most other devices.

Durability: 4 The Sweating Situation: There was zero budge as my ears got slicker. The packaging calls these sweat- and weather-resistant, so you won't want to submerge them in water but you can certainly wipe 'em down.

Bells & Whistles: The headphones also come with a nifty Reebok armband, complete with a small pocket for a key.

Cost: $149.95 on the Bose website. If you just want the SIE2 model, those will set you back $119.95.

Philips ActionFit Sports Headband Headphones

Philips ActionFit Sports Headband Headphones


Sound Quality: 4.5. The bass was rich and heart-pounding, even at higher volumes.

Noise Isolation: 3. I expected to have to really crank up the volume, since on-ear models typically allow in more ambient noise, but these struck a good balance. I could hear the middle-aged couple running behind me approaching, which definitely pushed me to go faster.

Fit & Comfort: The ear cushions are plump and sumptuous, although I always wonder how makes like these will hold up over many, many sweaty hours, since I basically eroded a pair a few years back. They're incredibly lightweight and not too tight. The non-slip headband helped keep everything in place without squeezing, although I did get a little jiggle on one side.

Cord Length: A little long, but the included cord clip helps keep bounce to a minimum.

Durability: 3. The cable is outfitted with a Kevlar coating to withstand any potential tears. The silicone headband doesn't seem easily breakable, although I do always worry slightly about snapping something that doesn't fold. The set comes with a pouch to carry them in, but it's just cloth.

The Sweating Situation: The ear cushions are detachable and washable, and the whole shebang is sweat-resistant and rainproof. Sweating didn't move these babies a millimeter.

Bells & Whistles: The on-ear design is the big perk here, since there aren't many non-earbud active options. Note that there's no remote on the cable, so you'll have to manage volume and track order from your device.


Polk UltraFit 3000


Sound Quality: 3.5. I wasn't completely blown away here, but I was definitely pleased.

Noise Isolation: 3. These were a happy medium of isolation and safety.

Fit & Comfort: With three sizes of silicone ear tips, two pairs of three-tiered silicone ear tips that I found were the best shape for my ears and two pairs of memory foam tips for additional sound isolation (save those for the treadmill), you'd be hard-pressed to not find some combination that works for you. Once I found the right option, I could hardly feel 'em. The over-the-ear section is flexible and bendable, but secures nicely in place and doesn't bounce while running.

Cord Length: Also customizable! The set comes with a 14-inch cable and a 41-inch cable, although only the latter has a remote control. The remote was kind of a dud, though: The volume controls worked fine, but it was nearly impossible to use the central button to change the song. I found myself fumbling and frustrated more than once.

Durability: 5. These also has a Kevlar-enhanced cord for serious lasting power. They also come with a compact carrying case, and the bendable design eliminates fear of snapping.

The Sweating Situation: The Polk website explains that these are protected by "moisture shield technology" that "deflects and resists moisture". They also didn't budge when I got sweaty.

Bells & Whistles: The customization is the big perk here. These are designed to operate with Apple products, but the very similar UltraFit 3000a offer an option for Android users, too.

Share this article :

0 Comments:

Post a Comment